Tuesday 11 August 2009

England Photographs

Well, I've been away on holiday for a week in France, but got back in the UK on Saturday and have stayed down south and been into London yesterday and today. Main aim was to end all the research from the National Archives and The British Library.

Mission accomplished!

I was rather excited because I had located two rather important photographs. The England team photographs for the 1894 and 1898 matches against Scotland. Playing in these matches was by far the biggest honor for an individual player at the time (The FA Cup was the highest for a team) and Fred was lucky enough to get three scottish caps. Maybe a little unlucky not to have got a few more.

My resent reading has revealed that the 1898 team was considered to be a legendary side. They were considered the greatest england side right into the 1920's and Fred was part of it and played well by all accounts.

To get a photograph with a forward line up including; Athersmith, Bloomer, G.O. Smith, and Fred is pretty special. The photograph also includes Wreford Brown, Earnest Needham and Robinson (possibly the best goalkeeper from the Victorian Era). It is very special for me to have seen an original and to be able to of copied it too.

Copying it proved very tricky, it was a large photograph, and I had to photograph it (like every other photo) in a security room with video cameras watching me. The artificial light was a complete pain and the photograph was creased down the centre too. I think I've done a good job, but will have too see when I eventually get home.

I have some very good close up shots of Fred and the other players.

The 1894 photograph was easier to copy, and also contains some very find players included. I hope that I can arrange copywrite for their use in the book. They will be very fine inclusions. Team line ups can get a bit repetative and boring, but England photographs elevate themselves enough, and they are good examples. Both were shot in the studio, with the same background as the 1895 one if anyone is familiar with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment