Tuesday 21 July 2009

Book Jacket

I thought I should just add a little bit about the Book Jacket design, which is on this page.

It way end up being different from this. It is basically just an idea at the moment and my name will probably be added at some point. I quite like it though.

The image is a section of a larger photograph that shows Fred on the wing playing at Olive Grove. It was taken in Wednesday's last season at Olive Grove and therefore Fred is looking a little older and in most images I have of him as a footballer.

The match happens to be the last ever Sheffield Derby at Olive Grove. I am particularly fond of the image because it shows the stretch of ground where Fred made his name as the 'Olive Grove Flyer'. The rammed grandstand adds to the atmosphere, no doubt it was a buzzing ground to play on.

I am very lucky to have been able to locate this photograph, a good friend of mine bought it and has let me use it.

In the past books on Sheffield Wednesday's history have always regarded the photograph of Olive Grove from a distance to be the only surviving image of the ground. It captured the ground by accident when someone was photographing their allotment. It appears in Romance of the Wednesday and Owl's vs Blades and probably an other book I can't remember.

Anyway... I have managed to track down 5 images of football being played on Olive Grove. Most in the 1898 season. 3 show the stand in the background and 2 looking the other way. These combined with numerous drawings and illustrations have made it possible to work out what Olive Grove would have looked like in 360°.

No comments:

Post a Comment